Sunday, 4 July 2010

Thing 11: Slideshare : or, so many fonts, so little time



Image: C19th zoetrope

With permission from the Bill Douglas Centre for the History of Cinema and Popular Culture

University of Exeter


I was interested to look at some library related Slideshare presentations. (And relieved to discover that we are not required to produce our own!)


This looks like a simple tool which could be used to create an online induction presentation, so I am glad to have looked at Slideshare. I won't have time this summer, but would like to produce one for the 2011 inductions. Having an induction presentation online would be a potential asset for students, and also might help our vocal cords survive September and October!


Looking at a number of library induction presentations (not Cambridge ones), I was reminded of the time when more tools became available for font display etc and every webpage had miriads of fonts and colours, because it could. In particular, coloured text displayed over photographs is difficult to read. Simplicity is often more attractive.


And for light relief, here are some pretty pictures of libraries, including the Wren Library:





No comments:

Post a Comment