Friday, 16 July 2010

Things 14 and 15: LibraryThing


Trying out LibraryThing was enjoyable. My own personal catalogue! With pictures!

I have created a personal account and a small eclectic wishlist. Now if I only had a mobile internet device, I would be able to check, when in second-hand book shops, which books I need to complete a series.

Hours of endless fun for personal use, but how about for library use?

In a Faculty or Departmental library, LibraryThing could be useful for creating a virtual new books shelf. Having visual images is particularly appealing. For College library staff under time pressure, this facility might not be as valuable - one more thing to do when processing books.

My Cam23 Diary talks about the possibilities for book group use, which sounds inviting.

It will be exciting to see how Web 2.0 will be used to add functionality to catalogues in the future, and LibraryThing is an entertaining and simple way to explore possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment