Sunday, 4 July 2010

Thing 12: Delicious : or, no more full stops any more


Still-life of grapes and a peach on a table-top
Jan van Huysum (1682–1749)
Image from Wikimedia Commons

The new absence of gratuitous punctuation makes Delicious look more approachable. The previous scattering of full stops was intimidating: what if I got it wrong? Judging by cataloguing, incorrect punctuation could have consequences. Now I don't have to worry.

Delicious was mentioned in a Web 2.0 presentation at a libraries@cambridge conference a couple of years ago or so, and I was excited by the idea but never followed it up. So it's useful to have an incentive to explore it now.

There is some terrific use of Delicious in the sites and bookmarks recommended in the Thing 12 instructions. There is masses of future browsing in Emma Coonan's bookmarks, and the subject specific information in the specialist libraries must be a great boon to students


The personal application of Delicious is obvious: although I have built up extensive duplicated bookmarks at work and home over the years, it would be useful to be able to access my bookmarks from elsewhere


Similarly, usage in subject specialist libraries can clearly be beneficial. I wonder how valuable it will be in a College library, though? Do any other College librarians publicise Delicious bookmarks to students, and has it been useful?


I've set up a Delicious account (which required me to set up a Yahoo account first...), and put in a few bookmarks to start with. I'll play with this in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment