Sunday, 25 July 2010

Thing 16: explore library Facebook pages

I already have a personal Facebook page, which is useful for keeping in touch with friends.

To get permission to create a presence on Facebook for my library, I would have to justify my reasons to the appropriate committee. Why would I want to have a Facebook page or group for the library? Because it’s there? I would want to explore Facebook’s value for a small College library with limited resources. Being realistic, we do not have the resources to maintain a magnificent edifice on Facebook, but something more like a cycling monarchy.

It might be useful as a way of notifying students of information such as building work in the library, vacation loan dates etc. I currently notify students by email, by amending the library’s webpage on the College’s website, and putting notices on the notice boards. Having an additional method of notification (assuming that students joined the group or became fans) might increase the likelihood of their seeing the information. I have also heard of a librarian who startles recalcitrant students into returning their overdue books by writing messages on their walls.

As students are already using Facebook, I would like to try dipping a toe in the water to see what can be done.

Further reading (article about social impact of Facebook use): Richard Fisher, “Generation f”, New Scientist, 2768, 207 (2010), 39-41.

1 comment: