Thursday, 8 July 2010

Thing 13: reflection, or: “An unexamined life is not worth living.”

Photograph by Jannett Klinke


Well, I thought that Thing 13 would be a doddle, a nice rest after all the other Things, but it turns out that reflection is more important that I realised. However, as my daughter helpfully pointed out, one can reflect while loading up the dishwasher.

I only wish that the Things had “covered everything I need to know” – as always, learning more can just create an awareness of the vast amount of “unknown unknowns”. However, it is satisfying to have used the various Things successfully.

The VARK questionnaire showed that I am strongly read/write oriented for learning. Is this typical of librarians? So the format of this course suits me well. Many thanks to the 23 Things team for the excellent instructions.
The only times I have been flustered have been when dealing with the vagaries of Blogger under time pressure, and I notice that a number of the more experienced Cam 23 bloggers have moved to other blogging services.

I do feel more competent to approach new tools and have a go, and the highlighting of time pressure as a flustering trigger means that I will continue to pursue new technologies at home when I have time in hand.

As others on the programme have found, this course has encouraged me to think about personal/professional use of Web 2.0 tools, and issues of privacy. In retrospect, I would not plaster my name and photograph all over a work-related blog. When we come to look at Facebook in Thing 16, I will certainly be thinking in terms of creating a library Facebook page separate from my existing personal account.


The tools I am most likely to use at work are Doodle, Flickr, Slideshare and Delicious. The tool I would recommend to colleagues (here I’m thinking of College staff, rather than other librarians) is Doodle, which is simple and potentially of use to anyone who organises meetings.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm beginning to wonder if I committed a faux pas in putting my name on the blog. Most participants seem not to have done. Certainly, now that I've put the cam23 stamp on, there's no way that I will continue w. the same blog after the end of the cam23 programme. If I feel any urge to get up a blog for other purposes, as I envisaged in my first post, it will have to be a different blog.

    ReplyDelete